2.6 release. (Was: new manual chapter)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: 2.6 release. (Was: new manual chapter)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 11:21:59 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

  The basic problem with complex examples, is that they're
difficult to read if you don't already know what they say.

I confess that I haven't completely thought out what to do with this
new possible chapter.  I'm pretty sure that we could use another
wordy chapter that explains some of the more complicated lilypond
stuff; I'm not certain whether that should take the form of annotated
short examples, annotated complicated contrived examples, or just
an extension of the existing tutorial (but in a separate chapter for
ease of reading).

If we're going to have a new chapter, IMO it should be included before
2.6.0.  We've rearranged the manual between 2.4 and 2.6, so users will
have to get used to a new chapter numbering scheme; it would be a pity
if 2.6.5 (or whatever) introduced a new chapter which changed the
chapter numbering scheme again.

In general, I advise to resist the temptation to start something new (new chapter, new approaches), until you're sure that what we have doesn't work. Starting something new is easy, but following through with something isn't.

Regarding the release: you can insert an empty chapter now. I hope to release 2.6 Real Soon Now, and I don't want to stop the release because of unwritten doc chapters.

At the moment there are still these show-stoppers before I can release 2.6

 - add encoding to emmentaler font for correct PDF embedding
 - MacOS X doesn't get dynamic fonts
 - drum notation is broken.

Any other  pressing problems?

--