Re: \displayLilyMusic

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: \displayLilyMusic
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:20:04 +0200

Juergen Reuter wrote:
In general, having a central place, where the structure of the scheme representation of music expressions is well specified, probably would help very much in developing any scheme function that processes music. And it could also be used to generate programming documentation.

Hi,

Whoever reads formal definitions when there is something else? I think
that \displayMusic is infinitely more useful than some kind of
pseudo-formal document that nobody ever reads anyway. As for formal definitions, we have parser.yy sitting right there for you.

I'm also afraid that such documentation might (wrongly) suggest that the format will never change. Whenever we find a way to improve the implementation, we will do so, and I will not be stopped by documentation. Rather, there is a risk that we will leave bad code, just because we invested a lot of work in writing docs. That's also why I'm a huge fan of the auto-generated documentation. It's much easier to keep up to date with LilyPond itself.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden
LilyPond Software Design - http://www.lilypond-design.com