doc help: \layout

From: Graham Percival
Subject: doc help: \layout
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:05:02 -0700

On 2-Jun-05, at 3:47 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

(Graham, or someone else, we should really try to make sure that
all commands and reserved words available in LilyPond are listed
in the Index. \layout is one of those missing. Doing such an exercise
would also help identifying what information is missing from the manual
today.)

True, but as you note there's no doc section on \layout.

I'm only fixing urgent stuff until 2.6 is out. Once that's out, I'll go back
to editing the manual -- and adding @cindex entries is the main thing
I'm doing now.

The lack of a doc section on \layout is another matter.  I'd rather not
write it, since I don't understand it...

argh, ok.  I've changed my mind; I guess this is urgent enough to do
before 2.6.

I know that you can do
\layout{
indent=1.6\cm
\context { \Staff
  foo=bar
  \override foo = #'bar
}

Can it do any other kind of operation? Actually, for that matter, why does
\layout{ indent=1.6\cm }
work? Shouldn't it be in \paper{} or \layout{ \context { \Staff }} instead?

Any clarify on \paper and \layout would be appreciated; I'll get one or two
doc sections about those done this weekend.