Re: package-specific doc information

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: package-specific doc information
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:35:08 -0700

On 17-Jun-05, at 9:12 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
I know that the MacOS package has a README with some platform-specific
information; I assume that the windows and linux binary packages have
similar information. Could we include that info on the web page or the
docs?

no, I disagree. All binary setup packages should be selfdocumenting. People generally don't read installation instructions anyway.

OK, let's not put it in the main doc page.  But we should include those
instructions _somewhere_ on the web page.  What if somebody doesn't
notice the README, but instead looks on the web for docs?  It doesn't
make sense to exclude setup info (like "put lilypond.sh in your path")
from the rest of the docs.

Whenever I try an OSX package/program, I almost always keep the
binary and delete the other files -- I just assume that if I need any
docs, I can find them online.