Re: can't run convert-ly.py under WinME in version 2.5.31

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: can't run convert-ly.py under WinME in version 2.5.31
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:44:05 +0200

Brynne and Russ Jorgensen writes:

> Is a python interpreter supposed to be part of the lilypond
> distribution on windows?

No.  Although python is a highly portable package, it does not support
automatic configuration, specific feature tests or cross compiling.

Before we can ship python, a mingw configuration and cross compilation
support must be added.

> If so, I couldn't figure out what it was called, so I resorted to my
> cygwin version of python to run convert-ly.py...
>
> Not all of the necessary .py files are included in the windows
> distribution.  I copied lilylib.py, fontextract.py and
> convertrules.py from the lilypond source distribution into
> lilypond/usr/bin to get things working temporarily.

Thanks, this should be fixed in the next release.

> It looks like they are supposed to go
> somewhere else, but the code at the top of convert-ly.py that figures
> out datadir looks like it might need some modifications for windows
> use.

Yes, LILYPONDPREFIX must be set to the right directory.  Maybe moving
everything to usr/bin is not such a bad idea, for Windows.

Jan.