Re: Regarding the Musica ficta accidentals

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Regarding the Musica ficta accidentals
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:32:50 +0200

OK! However, wouldn't it still make sense to only typeset the
suggested accidentals for accidentals marked as cautionary in
the input? At least in music from early 17th century, it was
indeed common to print some but not all accidentals explicitly.
With the current implementation, you would have to repeatedly
switch suggestAccidentals between true and false. It would be
easier to just mark the ones added by the editor with a "?" in
the input. (Hmm, how to distinguish these from automatically
generated cautionaries)?

One alternative to my proposal below might be to set the
cautionary style using a context property.

   /Mats

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Mats Bengtsson wrote:

I noticed the new support for suggested accidentals and am a bit
surprised that this wasn't added as a new possible style for the
cautionary-style property instead. I seem to recall that such a

This is technically impossible, since the suggested accidentals have different roles in the placement strategies. This implies that they have to be of a different Grob type.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology