Re: vertical placement of \mark

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: vertical placement of \mark
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:01:04 -0700

On 16-Aug-05, at 1:05 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
Shortly before 2.7.5 was released, this behavior (which presumably was
a bug) reverted back to the old version -- the "mark" is printed right above
the staff lines.
Even though this was a bug, I found it *extremely* useful. Could the "above

what did you use it for?

"beautiful notation by default".  :)

For Real Life (ie longer) examples, see the stuff on my website (http://percial-music.ca). For a useful example, see below. This kind of notation (number of ledger lines and the slurs)
is typical for string music.

Without the \overrides, it's horribly ugly.
With the \overrides, it's good -- but it requires guessing and multiple experiments
to get good numbers.
With the "buggy" \mark behavior, I simply take the defaults for most things. True, I'd need to assign #'padding = #-3 or so for the last line. But in my experience, I always need to increase the #'padding for \marks; I only need to lower the #'padding
about 20% of the time.

I'm not suggesting that we use the "buggy" \mark for the default behavior (although on second thought, that might be a good idea anyway :) . All I really want is an
option to use that behavior if we wish.

\version "2.7.4"
\relative c' { \clef bass
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters

%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #2.0
c4 c d c b a g fis( \mark \default g) g g g \break
%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #5.5
a b c d e d e fis( \mark \default g) g fis e \break
%\override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #3.5
d1 b4 b a g( \mark \default d') c b a g1
%\revert Score.RehearsalMark #'padding
g'4 d b g a2 d,( \mark \default a1)
}