Re: Cross-staff chords

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Cross-staff chords
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:40:17 +0200

Citerar Trevor Baca <address@hidden>:

> On 8/26/05, Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While exploring MusicXML, I found an example of cross-staff chords, see
> page 19
> > of:
> > http://www.recordare.com/xml/musicxml-tutorial.pdf
> >
> > Have I missed something, or is this impossible to do in lily? Are there
> plans to
> > add it?
> >
> > Erik
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> You can use stem length within a PianoStaff in Lily and it works great
> even though the stem length setting is a manual fiddle.

Hm .. What I really would need is something that abstracts this. Setting stem
length would be a working hack for xml2lily, but this hack woulnd't produce
correct results when going back with lily2xml.

My question is really: Are there any (possibly far-future) plans to make true
cross-staff chords possible?

> You can see very elegant examples in some of Takemitsu's later scores
> where he'll beam together the string section when they play in unison.
> And then, of course, there's Xenakis ... who had no problem beaming
> together 20 staves at a time.
>
> (If you'd like examples from those or other scores for the thesis, let
> me know and I'll scan them and send them to you privately since you'd
> need near full-page scans to get the effect.)

Thanks, but I'll produce my own minimal examples, if needed.

Erik