Re: docs

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: docs
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:27:12 -0500

On 8/30/05, Hans de Rijck <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some small remarks about the documentation (both html and pdf) for version
> 2.6.
> 6.5.3 Dynamics

> Please add a line how to get dynamics aligned. It's now very implicit.
> What I mean is, your example
>     c\< c\! d\> e\!
> leads to a crescendo and a decrescendo that don't align (very ugly!).
> If you do a small concession and write:
>     c\< c\! \> d e\!
> they are perfectly aligned. Of course it would be better if you could order
> lilypond to automatically align dynamics, but we can't have it all.

Actually, we probably can have it all if we're willing to shell out
some EUR to make sure our project leader keeps eating and if we come
up with a nice spec for how the dynamics alignment should work and
what the control syntax should look like ;-) There's been some talk on
the list before about at least these issues:

1. vertically aligning dynamics (though #'staff-padding in the
DynamicLineSpanner lets you do most things ... you should check into
this Hans, if you haven't already; be 'ware that DynamicText and
DynamicTextSpanner do *not* have a #staff-padding setting ... but that
DynamicText and DynamicTextSpanner will respond to values of
#'staff-padding that you set for DynamicLineSpanner)

2. surgical horizontal dynamics alignment (to left note-edge, to right
note-edge, to notecenter; also to barline with or without padding;
possibly to other objects, too?)

3. angled hairpins (Werner's talked about this, but Namazu seems to be
stuffed up right now so it's hard to find the original thread(s))

I'll probably eventually design and circulate a spec that finds some
way to address all 3 of these points in a framework-friendly way that
also lets me extend the idea of a dynamics vertical "strata" to notate
other types of continuous changes (like changes in bow position from
ponticello to tasto and back on string instruments, or continuous
changes of air pressure or embouchure on wind instruments), but I
won't have time until end of Sep / beginning of Oct.

Anyone else interested in joining a sponsor collaboration for dynamics
precision control in a month or 2?

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden