Odd time-signatures

From: Peter Quarrell
Subject: Odd time-signatures
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:41:31 +0100

I just downloaded Lilypond in order to improve the printing of psalm chants in
our church Sunday news sheet.  We use a psalm-chant system created by one of
our congregation.  The normal chant covers 2 verses of the psalm, with 10
crotchet beats per half verse.  The chant's 4 quarter-verses are therefore
printed as 4 bars, each of 10 crotchet beats.  Each bar is a semibreve,
followed by 2 crotchets, followed by another semibreve.

We don't actually want a time-signature in the output (because, like the
traditional Anglican chant, timing doesn't mean anything when you are
chanting), but that doesn't matter.  My problem is that I can't see how to get
the output I want, with only 1 bar-line per 10-crotchet phrase.  Lilypond
seems to reject a time-signature of 10/4.  Although it is an odd
time-signature to want, it ought to be possible to implement it.  Why does it
not work?  The best I have been able to get has been 6/4, and using PaintShop
Pro to remove or shift the bar-lines has produced a messy result.

Best wishes

Peter Quarrell