LilyPond Traffic (Was: Re: lilypond.org copyright and wiki)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: LilyPond Traffic (Was: Re: lilypond.org copyright and wiki)
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:11:41 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> John Mandereau wrote:
> > Graham Percival wrote:

> >>By "the 2nd license has to be compatible", do you mean "I (John
> >>Mandereau) insist on doing this", or "legally speaking, the 2nd license
> >>has to be compatible..." ?
> >>
> >>If it's the first, then fine; that is completely within your rights.
> >>If the second,
> >>then you are mistaken.  _I_ cannot take the existing page and relicense
> >>it, since I don't own the copyright to it (as you contributed some
> >>material).
> >>But if both of us (and any other contributors) decide to dual-license
> >>that
> >>material under the CC-NC/SA and GNU FDL... or even a traditional
> >>commercial copyright license... then we are completely able to do that.
> >>

> > I mean "legally speaking, ...". Why would you like to relicense this
> > page? Do you want to include it in the documentation??? If not, I see no
> > good reason to relicense it under the FDL.
> >

> I don't get it. Isn't it easier that we sort out any problems when they
> actually appear? It seems a waste of brainpower to do anything now. When
> the time is there, we can always ask permission of {us,wiki
> contributors} to grant various permissions.

Well, I'm trying to use better my little brainpower to set up a digest
of the mailing lists on the wiki. It's quite a long job, but I really
want to do it to avoid always searching the three lists to find, for
example, a bug workaround.

Now I've summarized only 2 threads, but it gives an idea of what it
could be; see it at
http://wikihost.org/wikis/lilypond/programm/gebo.prg?name=traffic:

Is it worth
      * setting up a heavy infrastructure like Kernel Traffic? (or is
        doing it by hand on the wiki fine?) I think it will be necessary
        when a hundred messages per day are posted to the lists.
      * sending a newsletter, as suggested in
        http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/newsletter-editor ?
        I may take this job if the necessary infrastructure is provided
        (a gnu.org mailing list?).

Any other thoughts?

--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>