Re: How to override bar line?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: How to override bar line?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:13:01 +0200

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Wednesday 28 September 2005 15.38, Fairchild wrote:

Erik -

Is this documented somewhere?

\once \override Score.BarLine #'break-glyph-function = #(lambda (glyph dir)
(if (> 0 dir) "|." "|:"))

Nope, it's something I created using my limited guru skills.

I just looked quickly, and I think \leftBar and \rightBar would be pretty clumsy to implement without changing the scheme code for \bar slightly.

Please elaborate?  It would be something like

 #{  \once \override BarLine #'break-glyph-function =
      #(lambda (gl dir)
        ..stuff..  )
     \bar ...
  #}

Han-Wen, would you accept well-written patches to introduce \leftBar and \rightBar commands? Suggestion for semantics: - \bar sets the barline style for barlines not at line breaks, plus defaults for barlines at breaks

No. \bar should only create the barline specified. If you want special layout, then you should use a layout instruction, possibly hidden by a clever music function.