Re: New figured bass capabilities and some request

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: New figured bass capabilities and some request
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:22:15 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Matevz Jekovec wrote:
> > But in practice, you have about the same amount of extended and
> > non-extended markings and switching them all the time this way is a bit
> > space consuming. My question is, is there a way to add an extender line
> > manually on certain chords? I have something like eg. <6 5> <6 4> for
> > unextended 6th and <6 5> <6_ 4> for the extended 6th in mind. I think
> > this wouldn't be too difficult to implement, if it's not yet possible.
>
> I can add something along the lines of
>
>   <6 5> <6\noContinuation 4>
>
> (of course, you can define your own name to use a shorter word.)

Syntax like what Matevz proposed is more convenient than long
"\set useBassFigureExtenders = ##t" and "\noContinuation" commands IMHO.
Why not  <6c 5> <6 4>  for a 6th with a continuation line?

btw, I have other feature requests for figured bass, which have
certainly already been discussed on the lists:

1) It would be great to have syntax for the plus sign (instead of using
a \markup): something like

<6* 3>

which would show in the output like

+6
3

2) In baroque figured bass, accidentals and plus signs are after
numbers, whereas in modern figured bass, they are before (like current
Lilypond implementation). Could it be set with commands like

\set BassFigureStyle = #'modern
\set BassFigureStyle = #'baroque

3) Two missing symbols, a slashed "5" for the diminished fifth and a
slashed "7" for the diminshed 7th, could be added to the Feta font.

How much is it for sponsoring these features?

Regards
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>