Re: is etf2ly of any use, really?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: is etf2ly of any use, really?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 02:41:04 +0200

Eduardo Vieira wrote:
Hello friends,
I was testing the capabilities of conversion between ETF and LY. Granted, I didn't expect any astounding result, for even the documentation mentions that it has limited effectiveness, but I was surprised with the deplorable result.:( So much so, that I can't see the reason to have such script. Check it yourselves.
The file is a well known hymn: Abide with me (Tune: Eventide).
I'm sorry I don't have the midi right now, but in a site like Cyber Hymnal you could find it. I also don't have Finale myself. But I used another program (Harmony Assistant) to open it and it was fine.

etf2ly was a hack that I wrote a long time ago. I have proposed removing it before, but some people actually use it to use Finale as a GUI for lilypond; YMMV, not all ETF files are the same, and the ETF file as a whole is almost undocumented.