Re: LilyPond 2.7.18 released

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.7.18 released
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:42:58 -0600

On 11/22/05, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that all brackets on a given nesting depth must be the same
> > kind of bracket. I.e., the following bracket configuration can't be done by
> > single StaffGroup:
> >
> > \new StaffGroup <<
> >   \new InnerStaffGroup <<
> >     \new Staff c'1
> >     \new Staff c'1
> >   >>
> >   \new Staff c'1
> >   \new PianoStaff <<
> >     \new Staff c'1
> >     \new Staff c'1
> >   >>

> > I don't know how common this kind of notation is, but wouldn't it be more
> > generic to ditch the systemStartDelimiters property and give the delimiters
> > explicitly in the hierarchy? I.e., for the example in NEWS, something like
> > this:
> >   \set StaffGroup.systemStartDelimiterHierarchy = #'(SystemStartSquare
> > (SystemStartBracket a (SystemStartSquare b)) c)
> >
> > (I don't have a particular need for this myself, I just want to bring up the
> > issue before backward compatibility becomes a problem)
>
> YEs, you're right. I contemplated this before, but didn't do it out of
> a. lazyness, b. elegance.  If we go for this,  then a syntax like
>
>    #(Square ((Bracket (x (Square y))
>              c)
>
> looks more logical to me.
>
> Trevor?

Yup, Erik's exactly right on this one ... I was just at the desk going
over this same point. IMO a labelled tree for
systemStartDelimiterHierarchy (like above) is the way to go, getting
rid of the need for a separate systemStartDelimiters property.

I'll sponsor the change if Han-Wen's got the time.

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden