Re: Library versions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Library versions
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:50:01 -0800

On 10-Dec-05, at 6:06 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:

Is it possible that when configuring lilypond you don't require the
super-duper latest version of all the libraries unless there's actually
some feature there that you need?

This is a question for the -devel list, not the -user list.

I think we _do_ need those features... for example, font kerning can only be done with pango2.12. (umm, is that supposed to be pango 1.10 ? I can't find "pango 2.12" anywhere; I see references to Gnome 2.12, which includes pango 1.10)

Unfortunately :), the speed of development of lilypond and various libraries is so fast that new features require the latest version of various libraries.

  I was just looking to try to compile
from CVS, but in order to do that I would need to download and install
half the libraries by hand as well, because you're using version that
haven't made it even into fink's unstable branch yet.

An added problem for some fink users (such as me; I don't know about you) is that fink development is mainly focused on 10.4; only some packages are backported to 10.3.9.

Which certainly sets an awfully high bar for contributing to the
project, when you can't even get a working generated version of the
_docs_ without hacking around with installing the bleeding-edge version
of seven different libraries.

Since I've spent the past week (off and on) trying to build the docs, I completely sympathize. The good news is that I can now compile the binaries, so at least that step is done. BTW, this is only using libraries installed via fink on 10.3.9. I may have to start compiling bleeding-edge libraries for the docs, though...

Quite apart from doc-compiling problems, the bar is already set relatively high from our use of texinfo. That's why I encourage people to send plaintext additions to the docs (like your "an overview of the system"... many thanks, I'll be looking at how to include that info). I've learned how the docs are set up, how texinfo works, etc; I can take care of the technical details involved in including material in the docs.

(this isn't a good point right now, but in the next couple of days I hope to be able to build the docs again)