Re: A few questions

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: A few questions
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:20:52 +0100

Elie Roux writes:

> i have a project of 6 months consisting in building a standard for
> gregorian chant notation.

That sounds as a nice project.

> I think i'm going to do it in xml, because it can be a real
> standard.

What is it exactly, that you want to make?  Do you want to make a
language for describing gregorian chant, or do you also need to
actually produce notation from that language?

> I'm writing this email to ask you if you have a precise idea of how
> to do it, and if you're interested in collaboration.

If you need to produce notation, I would focus on that.  The language
that you need will follow and evolve automatically.  Once you have a
useful convenient language, writing an XML converter should not take
much more than a couple of days.

Juergen (cc) knows the details about the state of LilyPond's gregorian
chant engine.

Jan.