Re: review new info on file layout

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:47:08 -0800

On 4-Feb-06, at 1:59 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:
Then I'd propose this instead:
\new Lyrics { \lyricsto mytune { ... } }
because it feels relevant to me to consequently create contexts as top-level as possible. (hm.. the outer {} in my example are still confusing though,
since lyricsto never can be part of anything sequential)

I agree with Erik -- now the highest view of the music expression is
{
  \new Staff { vocal }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocalstaff { \lyrics }
  \new PianoStaff
}

correct?  And I should change the vocal templates to match this?

The intuitive idea behind my proposal is that the second argument
of the \lyricsto construct is the Lyrics context, whereas with your
proposal it's only the lyrics expression. Of course, there might be
situations where you have several \lyricsto within the same Lyrics
context, so then your proposal makes more sense. However, in such
situations, I would normally use something like:
\lyricsto partI \context Lyrics = lyr {...}
\lyricsto partII \context Lyrics = lyr {...}
\lyricsto partIII \context Lyrics = lyr {...}

Recall that this is an example for newbies (unless you two have moved on to talking about general lily syntax by now :). If somebody wants to do complicated stuff, they can read chapter 7 of the manual, instead of just chapters 3 and 4. :)

I think the shorthand without score is highly relevant:
- Lots of music is just short snippets. See e.g. regression tests, LSR and bug archive.

That's only true for the small group of people like you and me who
spend more time answering mailing list questions and handling bug
reports than on typesetting any real music. It's clearly a suboptimization
to adapt the syntax too much to such unnormal use of the program.

Yes, but it also applies to the manual. We already explain that examples from the manual need {} or even \relative c' { } to compile.

I agree that we shouldn't force people to remember lots of extra syntax that the program itself can figure out. However, I've seen lots of confusion on the mailing list because \score
is now optional.

Hopefully this confusion will be lessened with the new chapter 4. I may revisit the tutorial with this in mind, too.