Re: Lilypond -> flash (gnash) animation?

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Lilypond -> flash (gnash) animation?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:45:41 +0100

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 01.42, Mark Van den Borre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After reading about gnash, a reverse engineered gpl implementation of
> the Adobe flash 7 specs, a question keeps popping up.
>
> Could Lilypond help animate a simple snippet of music? Think
> start/stop button, and note highlighting that jumps along with the
> sound, a bit like a proprietary plugin does for a proprietary music
> notation app. The possible music education applications of even the
> simplest implementation would be huge...
>
> Is Lilypond potentially intelligent enough to sync played and written
> notes for a simple single voice melody?
> If so, is it possible to make a guestimate of development work needed
> for this? Areas needing improvement? MIDI, certainly, but what else?

Hm.. It's definitely not my area of expertise, but I don't think it's too
difficult to create some mechanism that for each moment outputs the
horizontal position and vertical extents of the score. I don't think it would
be too difficult to add similar metadata to midi either (except that it
probably requires that midi is cleaned up). I guess the most difficult part
is to import and combine all lilypond output into a nice gnash animation, and
to design that animation.

--
Erik