Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: doc problems with \paper and \layout keywords
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:30:13 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Sorry? 10.4.2 states that ragged-last-bottom affects the spread of systems across the last page in the piece. 10.5.7 states that ragged-last is like ragged-right, but only for the last line of the piece. Are either of these unclear?

It's not unclear.  One of them is completely redundant!  Anything
within \layout is for the current piece, and anything within \paper is
for the complete document.  We simply don't need two keywords.
`ragged-last' is fully sufficient.

Maybe I'm wrong -- in that case please show me a counterexample.

Settings for \layout variables are inherited from \paper.

Not really.  AFAIK, \layout has two functions, namely to set up local
layout parameters and to set up contexts (with \context).  While doing
the former you can use all (or almost all?) keywords from \paper.

Maybe it makes sense to separate this into two different commands...

Yes, that's a good idea.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com