Re: Vocal music and beaming

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Vocal music and beaming
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:28:39 +0100

Quoting Marco Gusy <address@hidden>:

Hi, I would like to hear what you think about lilypond and beaming in vocal
music.
I'm quite sure it's common in traditional engraving to beam together only
notes of a melisma. The rule is: two syllabes never are beamed together. I
attach a picture as an example. This is Bach Magnificat, the "Ma -- -- -- --
" is beamed, but the "gni -- fi -- cat" isn't.
When I code choral music with lilypond i fell like doing the same work twice
(manual beam, and enter lyrics), maybe lilypond should beam following the
text.

By default, LilyPond supports the opposite, namely that when you
use \lyricsto it interprets all manually inserted beams as melismas and
only attach one syllable to each beam.

  /Mats

Can you check some Bärenreiter score?

Thanks