Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: al niente / de niente - was Re: (no subject)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:40:56 -0600

On 3/31/06, Erlend Aasland <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On 3/31/06, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Yeah, you've definitely got the idea; the best examples are in scores
> > of Sciarrino's recent music and I'll have time to dig through some
> > this weekend and make a few small scans.
>

> Great!

OK, here are two nice examples.

The first is near the end of the second page of Sciarrino's 'All'aure
in una lontananza' and the second is the very last bit of 'Come
vengono prodotti gli incantesimi?'.

Note, too, the use of back-to-back hairpins in the first example, with
the 'niente' circle at the center.

[While we're looking at the notation, I'd like to take a moment to
plug these pieces: the complete set of Sciarrino's flute music is one
of the most attractive, hypnotic bodies of work you can ever hope to
find. The small motions that build up each piece come from a
pleasantly, bewilderingly different number of directions, and the
cumulative psychological effect of listening through any one of the
pieces is, for me anyway, a disassociation with time that is almost
total. Also the notation is really cool. Very much recommended.]

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden