Re: Whither the switch to OpenType fonts? (they break my printer)

From: John Hawkinson
Subject: Re: Whither the switch to OpenType fonts? (they break my printer)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:59:01 -0400

Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote on Thu, 20 Apr 2006
at 16:49:04 -0300 in <address@hidden>:

> I'd gladly have a patch for ascii-wrapping the OTF binary, because inserting
> binary data in PS doesn't give me good vibes.  If this is valid PS, we
> should take the issue up with ghostscript development.

I think it is valid, but it doesn't work on my printer either :(
So I'm not sure it's an issue worth pursuing.
It does work for non-weird postscript, just not for these fonts...

> > Revs 1.84 through 1.86 of scm/framework-ps.scm share this log message
> > tidbit:
> >
> > * scm/framework-ps.scm (munge-lily-font-name): new function
> > (write-preamble): hack: insert PFA equivalent of CFF into
> > .PS. This makes LilyPond output printable on normal PS printers
> > again.
>

> Could very well be; I also have an HP printer (LJ2100 with a PS dimm).
> However, the reason for installing the hack was related to a Ghostscript
> bug.

Err...the text there is your text from the log message, not mine :)

> We reverted the hack because the bug has been fixed now.

I'm really confused, since your log message (presumably written by you?)
says that it was necessary for printing on normal PS printers.
Empirically that seems to be the case as well.

--jhawk