Re: building lilypond 2.8.1 on Debian unstable

From: Thomas Bushnell BSG
Subject: Re: building lilypond 2.8.1 on Debian unstable
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:15:58 -0700

Heikki Johannes Junes <address@hidden> writes:

> A brute force solution was to "make" so many times, that you can finally
> see the missing buildscripts/out/ to appear, and the build to compile.

That doesn't work; it simply capitalizes on the bug in the Makefile
relying on the shell's > redirection to create files.  Specifically,
the > redirection is leaving around the manpage file (even though it
hasn't really been created) and make isn't deleting it, so each time
the make fails, it leaves a bogus manpage and the next time it runs,
the bogus manpage is there and it can get one step further.

This may satisfactorily create a lilypond binary, but it is not
satisfactory for the Debian package, I'm afraid.