Re: Documentation - 8.2.4 Bar numbers

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Documentation - 8.2.4 Bar numbers
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:42:52 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:06:17 +0100
"Anthony Youngman" <address@hidden> wrote:

This section should contain a reference to
bar-number-every-five-reset.ly. After the "Barnumbers can be typeset
at regular intervals ..." text and fragment, could we also add

Err, it already does!  Look at the "see also" section.

As I noticed after I'd posted - oops - BUT !!! imnsho it should be there as an example, not a "see also". Indeed, if there's only one example it should be this one not the other one.

<rant mode=on>
As a professional programmer, I see it as my job to make life easy for my users. All too often, however, I come across workmanship which makes it clear the workman was out to make life easy for himself! The modern practise of printing bar-numbers every fourth or fifth bar falls clearly into this category!

Ask yourself - *as* *a* *musician* - is that any use to you, or would you be better off if it was done a bit differently?

As a conductor, nine times out of ten you want to refer to the start of a phrase (the remaining tenth time being when you're pointing out a problem to just one musician (or section)). So as a musician, 99 times in 100, you're looking for the start of a phrase.

Now if every fourth bar is marked, what are the chances of it being the start of a phrase? Pretty near nil, I'd say. If it's every fifth, the chances rise to about 25%. So. Almost every time, the poor conductor has to find the bar he's looking for, count forwards or backwards to a numbered bar and tell the musicians. Who then have to find a numbered bar and count forwards or backwards to the bar they want. WHAT A WASTE OF EFFORT - all to save the computer typesetter a few minutes!
<\rant>

Han-Wen's preface says he believes in beautiful music. imho, bar numbers every fourth or fifth bar is very ugly. I asked about numbering the start of every phrase back in the 2.4 days, and got the impression I'd have to work it out for myself (maybe that's why bar-number-every-five-reset.ly was written). imnsvho, we should be saying to people "this is how it *should* be done, and we can do it!". Please make bar-number-every-five-reset.ly a showcased example, and if it means relegating the current showcased example to a "see also", then so be it.

I know there's a conflict between a simple example and a good example, but when the simple example sets a bad example (which imho this does), then I'd rather have a good example.

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.