Re: Problem with \partial

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Problem with \partial
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:29:30 +0200

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 23:01, Paul Scott wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > Erik Sandberg wrote:
> >>
> >> There is already a property that can be set (Timing.measurePosition
> >> IIRC) which is what \partial modifies.
> >
> > Whoops, I should have realized this.  OK, I'm happy -- ugly hacks are
> > still possible, but \upbeat is a better term for real uses of
> > \partial.  :)
>
> I like \partial as it is.  In my experience upbeat is the second half of
> a beat where downbeat is the first half of a beat.  If it needs to be
> changed "pickup(s)" at least means what you seem to be referring to.

Anacrusis seems to be another related word:
http://www.music.vt.edu/MUSICDICTIONARY/texta/Anacrusis.html
A quick googling suggests that anacrusis and pickup seem to be the most
correct terms, and then pickup is better because I have never heard the word
anacrusis. (unfortunately I'm not good at English musical terms; I only know
that the correct term in Swedish is 'upptakt'.)

I think Kieren is right too: it seems that both words can be used for both
meanings. However, it seems that pickup is more commonly used in the meaning
we want.

--
Erik