Re: Problem with \partial

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Problem with \partial
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:57:10 -0700

Anthony Youngman wrote:
Well, there's English, and there's "English". I've come across the term
"anacrusis" and would never have thought of calling it a pickup. "lead
in" or "upbeat" are the terms I mostly hear people use, I think.
Obviously there are regional differences. Pickup which can be plural for multiple notes is the most frequent term I have heard in my 54 years of rehearsing, performing and copying music. Maybe if anacrusis is more universal it might be better *if* \partial must be changed. Not to dispute other people's use of upbeat but you can see that it does make sense when used as the opposite of downbeat to describe a syncopated note beginning especially in jazz or swing figures. I will also admit that this term is relatively new in my experience.
But then again, I'm strange :-) I talk about crotchets, minims etc. This
mailing list is about the only place I ever meet terms like "quarter
note".
And even though I am aware of those words I have to look them up when I see them referred to.

Have fun,

Paul