Re: relative mode interacting wierdly with polyphony

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: relative mode interacting wierdly with polyphony
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:01:18 -0700

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:55:26PM -0700, Ted Walther wrote:
In relative mode, the definition of , and ' depends on the "last" note.
Because of the behavior I will describe below, I'd appreciate a
clarification of how "the last" note is defined.

I have two different staffs.  Each staff usually has two voices going
at once.  I've been doing it a bar at a time, and for each bar, putting
in a << { } // { } >> section.  Now that I am 10 bars in, I'm noticing
that the previous five bars are getting messed up, to varying degrees,
as I add each new bar.  It is as if the definition of the "last" note
that the , and ' octavation marks apply to is getting changed on the
fly based on the new input.

Is my procedure wrong?  Should I be letting the voices run all the way
to the end instead of starting and stopping them at each bar?

My real question is, how does lilypond define "the last note" when in
relative mode.

When I have two voices on the same staff, if the passage of time is
marked by a note in one voice, will a rest in another voice in the same
staff be made invisible?  Is there a way to make it so?

Please disregard this question; I found spacer rests in the manual.  My
tired eyes missed them the first time around.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973