Re: changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:52:02 +0200

Some further clarifications below.

Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:

On Sunday 27 August 2006 07:26, Graham Percival wrote:
Ted Walther wrote:
> The documentation of lyrics has got me befuddled on the notion of
> contexts, as I haven't seen anywhere it clearly says what I can do in
> lyricsmode that I can't do in lyricsto, although the documentation does
> state that there is a difference.  Perhaps the complete read-through of
> the manual will clear it up.

If you figure it out, let me know.  I don't use vocal music, so I've
barely touched that section.  I'm happy for corrections, though.

In short: \lyricmode is just a marker that says "the following input
characters should be interpreted as lyrics, rather than notes". \lyricsto is
a function, which aligns lyrics to notes.

So in \lyricsto you need a voice to align lyrics to, while in \lyricmode you
need to specify the duration of each syllable manually.

The conclusion below is right but the paragraph above is probably confusing.
First of all, \lyricsto will switch to \lyricmode automatically, so that's
why you don't have to explicitly write \lyricsto ... \lyricmode {Here is my ly -- rics } However, as Erik says below, if you want to store the lyrics into a variable, you have to do
mylyrics = \lyricmode { Here is my ly -- rics }
and then \lyricsto ... \mylyrics

You only have to specify the durations manually if you don't use \lyricsto or \addlyrics (which doesn't really have anything to do
with \lyricmode itself).

So: You always want to use lyricsto, but if you want to store a line of lyrics
in a variable, use lyricmode and then use lyricsto to align that variable to
music.

 /Mats