Re: invisible time signature example unclear (hymnody request)

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: invisible time signature example unclear (hymnody request)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:04:13 -0700

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:14:46PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
In many hymns, the time signature is 4/4, but it starts off with a bar
in 2/4, 3/8, or similar.

Seems to me you want to use \partial, no? That is, if the time
signature is invisible, there won't be a visible difference in the
output, and \partial is a lot easier than juggling transparent
TimeSigs, X-extents, etc.

Look in the docs (or archive) for discussions on this feature. I'll
even start you off with a link, to make sure I don't get flamed like
the last time I tried to help someone...  ;)
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Partial-measures.html>

Thank you, that link explained everything beautifully.  And it led me
into a part of the manual I hadn't seen yet; good explanations for
everything.  And here I was stuck googling for invisible time signature
recipes.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 2459 E 41 Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2 (Canada)
Contact: 604-435-5787