Re: Chromatic staff

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Chromatic staff
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:12:39 +0200

Getting a 4 line staff is trivial, just add
\override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #4
at the beginning of your stave. You can also make this setting apply to
all Staff contexts, see the documentation.

For the vertical position, one idea would be to implement a music function in Scheme that modifies the pitch of each note so it gets the pitch it would have if we read the chromatic notation as if it would have been standard notation. The main disadvantage of this solution is that the MIDI output gets completely
wrong, otherwise I think it's the easiest solution.

  /Mats

Kevin Dalley wrote:
I know that alternative notation and chromatic staffs comes up once in
a while.  Let's choose a simple one, and assume that I can write some
C++, Python, and Scheme.  How would I change the notation to using 6-6
Tetragram?
http://web.syr.edu/~pwmorris/www.mnma.org/gallery/4LineNotations.html

The notes for this notation look the same as the standard notation,
they are just in different positions, spaced chromatically rather than
diatonically.

I see 2 major items:

Create a 4 line staff, rather than the standard 5 line staff.  Of
course, the lines represent different notes than the standard staffs
represent.
Place the notes in the correct position vertically.  This is probably
not too difficult for an experience Lilyponder, which I am not.  For
each pitch, the note is in some well-defined vertical position
relative to the staff.  A sharp and B flat are in the same position, B
and B flat are in different positions.

Where do I look for a start to solving this problem?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology