Re: documentation translation

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: documentation translation
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 00:57:00 +0100

John Mandereau escreveu:
It's important to have the same html filenames, but the node names
should be translated, otherwise all that hard translation work is not
very worthy imho.

I don't understand (bear with me , I haven't had a look at the infrastructure for translation at all), but wouldn't the easiest solution be to simply write a manual from scratch, and where applicable have some sort of special command

  @node Primeiras etapas
  @section Primeiras etapas

  INCLUDE_NODE(first steps)

which would include the contetns from First_steps.html from the english manual into the Primeiras_etapas.html of the portuguese manual?

This would largely disconnect both manuals, which makes development easier. Then, as the both manuals develop, more and more sections are translated. This does not guarantee that both manuals have the same structure, but that may also be a good thing, as it will give new ideas and insights into structuring the manual.

Of course, making this work in the PDF version is more difficult. Is a bilingual PDF a goal?

Also, having two disparate documents will not work too well with content negotiation, but is that a priority at this point?

I think the biggest problem now is that we have to encourage work write on translating the manual, rather than integrating it with the english one.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com