bar counters

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: bar counters
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:55:52 +0100 (CET)

In orchestral parts it is quite common to have bar counters like this:

           1         2         3         4

       c r g r | c r g r | c r g r | c r g r |

          cresc.  -   -   -   -   -  f

Currently, lilypond provides automatic bar counting for repeats only.
It would be great if we can have this feature for normal music also,
something like this:

      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
      c r g\< r |
      c r g r |
      c r g r |
      c\f r g r |
      \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

The current workaround, namely to use overlayed invisible percent
repeaters, is not very elegant...

Any chance that this gets implemented quickly?  Otherwise I'll add it
to the Google item list as a feature request.

   Werner