git "cannot merge"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: git "cannot merge"
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:42:28 -0800

I finally got git installed, cloned the repo, spent half an hour playing with "gitk", etc. Then I made a few small changes, did "git commit" after each one. Now I'm trying to send those changes back to the main repo.

Before I git-push, I'm supposed to pull the most recent changes, right? See below for the error messages for that... what do I do now? With cvs I could manually edit the failed file to remove the conflicts, but I don't know how to do that with git. I couldn't find many other instances of this error message on google, so I'm stuck. :(

(the changes are really simple, so I'm surprised that git can't merge them)

w163-mac:~/usr/src/lilypond gperciva$ git pull origin
Trying really trivial in-index merge...
fatal: Entry 'Documentation/user/advanced-notation.itely' would be overwritten by merge. Cannot merge.
Nope.
Merging HEAD with f37805de998d7baa955ddbe8eb2176679a80694d
Merging:
902cc3c Doc new way of doing MIDI (totally blatant FIXME).
f37805d strip more dvi/dvips/ps2pdf stuff.
found 1 common ancestor(s):
84219bb don't have input/templates/ any longer.
fatal: Entry 'Documentation/user/advanced-notation.itely' would be overwritten by merge. Cannot merge.
No merge strategy handled the merge.
w163-mac:~/usr/src/lilypond gperciva$