Re: git patch

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: git patch
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 01:09:30 +0100

Graham Percival escreveu:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> This is interesting. There has been lots of discussion on the git
>> mailing list, about git being hard to understand, but -it being a
>> developer's list- little data from actual newbie users. Could you take
>> some brief notes about what tripped you up, and post them?
>
> I'm reluctant to post to the git mailing list because I'm completely
> willing to admit that this is probably a stupid luser problem.  I never
> seriously tried to read the docs on the overall theory of git (branches,
> repo, etc); I just flailed around looking for magic commands to make
> things work.

This is exactly the problem with git, and why I'd like your input.
The GIT developer list abounds with people (eg Linus) that almost by
definition put the blame of errors on

1. the user
2. the documentation
3. the program

in this order, while imo this ordering should rather be the reverse.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com