Re: skyline updates

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: skyline updates
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:29:49 +0200

On 12/12/06, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> ... when you convert a vector of boxes into a skyline,

`vector'?  You mean a bunch of boxes, right :-)

yep

> you can pass a "horizon-padding" parameter x. This causes
>
> - each box to be expanded by x in both directions
> - on each side of the newly expanded box, we add a sloped piece of
>   roof. The width of this piece is x and the angle is 45 degrees.

Hmm.  This means that

       +---+
       |   |
       |   |
       +---+

becomes essentially

        +-----+
       /       \
      |         |
       \       /
        +-----+

right?  If you say `expanded by x' do you mean x/2 on each side?

The diagram is right, but by 'expanded by x' I mean x on each side. That is, the total horizontal expansion is 4x, half of which is sloped.

> I should mention that, unlike max-slope, horizon-padding can be
> passed grob-by-grob with calls to Skyline::insert (whereas max-slope
> was global for the whole skyline).

Example, please.

This was more of an internal-code comment than something that you can directly do in a .ly file. One application, though, is that you can decide that TextScripts should have a horizontal-padding of 2 while VoltaBrackets should have a horizontal-padding of 0. Previously, the same max-slope applied to every object in the skyline. This functionality is not yet exposed to the user but it will be soon (hopefully today). The property to look for will be called outside-staff-horizontal-padding.