volta questions

From: J.P. Mellor
Subject: volta questions
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:25:15 -0500

I have a few questions about voltas/alternatives.

1) Under some conditions the volta bracket is not printed completely.

   For example, the printed music I'm most familiar with commonly uses
   a \bar "||" for the final bar of the second ending of a repeated
   segment of music.  Using \bar "||" to accomplish this causes the
   right side vertical bar of the volta bracket to not be printed.

   The first attachment demonstrates this behavior.

2) Processing of a single alternative doesn't seem to be correct.

   For example, if \repeat volta 2 { music } \alternative { { music } }
   is processed then the volta bracket is not printed completely and a
   repeat bar is not printed at the end of the repeated segment.

   The first attachment demonstrates this behavior.

3) In 2) the final bar of the alternative can be set to a repeat bar,
   but then the segment does not unfold properly.

   The first attachment demonstrates this behavior.

4) Is there a way to have alternatives in the middle of a repeated
   section?

   For example, I've got eight bars of music which are repeated except
   for one note in bar 5.

   I could code this as 4 bars of repeated music using \repeat volta 2
   { 4 bars} \alternative { { 4 bars} {4 bars w/ 1 note different } },
   but this give an extra line for 1 note difference.

   I can get close to the look I'm going for by using manual repeats,
   but the volta bracket is not printed completely, measure moment is
   effected, and the segment doesn't unfold properly.

   The second attachment demonstrates this behavior.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to allow alternatives inside the
scope of repeated music.  For example,

\repeat volta 2 { music \alternative { {alt 1} {alt 2} } more music }

 or

\repeat volta 2 { music \alternative { {alt 1a} {alt 2a} }
                  more music \alternative { {alt 1b} {alt 2b} }
                  even more music }

Thanks,

jp