Re: volta questions

From: J.P. Mellor
Subject: Re: volta questions
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:47:04 -0500

    >> volta_test1a.ly - missing vertical line segment on the right
    >> side of the volta bracket.

    Graham> This isn't done in printed music.

I've got several examples of western printed music where the right
vertical bars are printed.

    Graham> There is some logic in this -- the music doesn't stop
    Graham> after the 2nd time ending ...

There are several cases where lilypond prints the right vertical bar
even if the music continues.  Based on the examples that I have, it
seems the right vertical bar is printed if the entire alternative is
enclosed by the volta bracket.  If the volta bracket is shortened
then the right vertical bar is not printed.

    >> volta_test2a.ly and volta_test2b.ly - highlight functionality
    >> that I'd like to see.  I'm not sure what the best way to
    >> achieve this is.

    Graham> I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this: \repeat
    Graham> volta 2 {
    Graham>    a'2 a'2 | \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1"))
    Graham>    b'2 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta
    Graham>    "2")) d''2 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
    Graham>    b'2 | c''2 c''2 |
    Graham> }

I probably should have simplified these a bit more.  The attached file
is hopefully more to the point.  The first time through bars 1,2 and 4
are played and the second time through bars 1,3 and 4 are played.  I
think the vertical bars on the right make it more clear by marking
exactly which bars are part of the alternatives.

I have perhaps 100 pieces of printed music which contains alternatives
in the middle of a repeated segment.  All of these have vertical bars
on the right.

It would be nice to be able to use the \alternative mechanism rather
than manual repeats.  Comments in repeated-music.hh indicate that the
model for repeated music is BODY A BODY B BODY C ==> BODY A B C where
A B C are alternatives.  I'm interested in music which can have a form
like BODY A BODY' BODY B BODY' BODY C BODY'.  Is it a possibility to
generalize the current model of alternatives to handle this case?

    Graham> Are you just trying to get a half-bar alternative repeat?
    Graham> If so, you could fake it by adding an s2 (or maybe even
    Graham> s2*0) to your alternatives.

The partial bar situation is a special case and is probably more of a
distraction at this point.  It will likely become important to me in
the future though.

Thanks,

jp