Re: Help with git and LilyPond Tutorial

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Help with git and LilyPond Tutorial
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:01:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Daniel Tonda Castillo escreveu:
> > Ok, here is an example for one of the files I've translated so far:
> >
> > $ git add es/install/macos.html $ git commit -m 'add file'
> > es/install/macos.html
> >
> > Before all this happened, to get the full documentation I followed all
> > instructions:
> >
> >  mkdir web ; cd web
> >  git init-db
> >  touch empty ; git add empty ; git commit  -m 'empty' empty
> >  git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:
> >  git repack.
> >
> > So after finishing the first phase (all files marked as priority 1), I
> > thought the safe thing to do was
> > commit all translations to git. But the commands in the README are not
> > very helpful. It says to do: ----------------
> > SUBMIT TO GIT
> >
> >    git push
> >
> > If you do not have GIT write access, send patches to your translation
> > sponsor, or the the lilypond-user list.
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > I also read the man page for git push and found out it confuses me more
> > than it helps. It talks about refs/head but I have no clue what that is
> > supposed to mean. I even got an account at savannah and can log in via
> > the browser, but only in view mode. I tried the different incantations
> > of ssh+git... commands and get this:
>
> Hi,
> can you see if the revised description at
>
> http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=3494c20ea4ad8de9d293a8d8446a9f0b13836fe2
>

> helps you?

I think you have a minor bug in your description: instead of

$ touch empty ; git add empty ; git commit  -m 'empty' empty
$ git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:
$ git repack

you should do

$ git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:web/master

Then, branch from the upstream with

$ git checkout -b myweb web/master

Now you are on branch "myweb", which is identical to "web/master" until
you commit your own changes.

Subsequent pulls can be done with

$ git pull git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:web/master

which not only updates "myweb", but also stores the remote "web/master" in
your local repository, so you can always get a diff between the tips of
"myweb" and "web/master" by

$ git diff web/master..myweb

Hth,
Dscho