Re: Singing support for LilyPond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Singing support for LilyPond
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:24:49 +0100

Milan Zamazal escreveu:
> We have finished the first version of the LilyPond singing support using
> the Festival speech synthesis system.  On the user side it works
> somewhat similarly to MIDI output: The user inserts a special LilyPond
> command to lyrics places he wants to sing and by processing the .ly
> file(s) and calling Festival he receives a synthesized song.  Emacs
> support is provided to help to sing parts of the source file, possibly
> accompanied by the MIDI output.  The whole thing is primarily intended
> to serve blind and visually impaired users for checking correct
> placement and notation of lyrics in the LilyPond files they prepare.
>
> Here is a patch against LilyPond 2.11.2:

Hi Milan,

I took a brief look at the patch.

Some remarks/questions:

 - Do you want this to be integrated in to LilyPond?
AFAICT, the patch well separated from LilyPond, and quite
large.  We can put it in, but you have to be prepared to
maintain it when we refactor things in Lily and cause problems
to happen in this patch.

 - How can we test this functionality?   Over the last
few months, we have been adding more and more tests, so
we can be sure that we ship a working LilyPond version.
It would be strongly preferred if this could be tested
without requiring the presence of festival itself.

 - I see scripts written in bash and perl. Those must be
Python to be part of LilyPond.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com