Re: GIT errors?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GIT errors?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:33:15 +0100

Le mercredi 03 janvier 2007 à 00:10 -0600, Daniel Tonda Castillo a
écrit :
> After finishing the priority 3 files which already have been sent, I
> tried to do a pull to merge everything and get the newest web site.
>
> Locally there were no errors when committing, this seems to have
> happened after putting a different committish after the first commit.
>
> After a bunch of errors concerning merge, I thought to start over again
> in a new directory, just to keep the original files I translated intact.
>
> So i went to the savanah place listed on the wiki at:
> http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Translations_HOWTO to
> start translating and get a fresh source. I got too many errors and gave
> up.
>
> Here's a recap of what went on:
> Following instructions here:
>
> http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=web/master
>
> $ git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git/ web/master:web/master
>
> I do a ls -a and all I get is:
>
> $ .
> $ ..
> $ .git
>
> Shouldn't something live here besides .git?

No, "git checkout -b myweb web/master" is supposed to do this job.

> Now the next item:
>

> $ git checkout -b myweb web/master
> fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD': unknown revision or path not in the
> working tree.
> Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
> fatal: Not a valid object name HEAD
>

> $ git log
> fatal: bad default revision 'HEAD'
>
> So I'm stopping all git stuff because the instructions seem to be incorrect.

Are you sure that you actually use Git 1.4.4.1 or newer? What does

        git --version

says?

I see no other reason for saying instructions are incorrect: I have
actually tested these instructions under GNU/Linux, with Git 1.4.4.2.
Do a Git expert knows why this doesn't work?

Darn, at second thought, Cogito seems to be easier to use, despite
limited portability :-/ If there is no other clean way to get you
started, you may simply fal back to Cogito...

--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>