Re: `:' vs `.' in doc files

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: `:' vs `.' in doc files
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:22:39 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes
> you've changed a lot of `.' at the end of paragraphs into `:' if
> the text is followed by an example.  I think this is wrong.  IIRC,
> it is better style in English to close with a full stop.

Sorry, I don't know good English style, I'd better changed nothing.

Similar to you I'm no expert in English style, but I remember that
I've done the same as you (this is, replacing full stops with colons)
and others told me that it's better to not do this.

Probably depends on whether it's American or English style, and modern or archaic ...

Personally, I feel that a full stop is exactly that - it brings things to a full stop. If I'm referring forwards to a following example I'd use a colon, eg "Please see the following example: ...". However, I'd suspect that usage is considered archaic.

Unless you've been taught English grammar, you are unlikely to understand the usage of : and ;, and most kids nowadays are not taught grammar :-(

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden