Re: Is it just me or...

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Is it just me or...
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:47:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 03:17:37PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > Mats Bengtsson escreveu:
> > > I can see both these problems. I just tried a 7 page score and even
> > > though it
> > > didn't take so extremely long to process, LilyPond was clearly allocating
> > > lots of memory while outputting the PS code, since my machine went into
> > > heavy swapping.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to have something more specific. Between which 2 versions did
> > you start seeing worse behavior?
> >

> I just tried the same score with 2.11.10 and I had no problems.

If you compile LilyPond from a local git repository, you can find the
commit relatively fast:

        # start bisecting
        $ git bisect start

        # mark "HEAD" as bad
        $ git bisect bad HEAD

        # mark "2.11.10" as good
        $ git bisect good release/2.11.10

        # now compile it, try it, and depending on the behaviour, mark it
        $ git bisect bad

        # or
        $ git bisect good

        # repeat with compilation and marking bad or good, until git tells
        # you which commit introduced the bad behaviour, then reset:
        $ git bisect reset

This procedure should give you (relatively painlessly) the commit which
has to be fixed. Look what it introduced with

        $ git show <commit>

Hth,
Dscho