skyline vs. y-aligned-side

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: skyline vs. y-aligned-side
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:30:47 +0100

Hello Joe,

2 questions

1. do you see any reason to use

 ly:side-position-interface::y-aligned-side

for Y-offset callbacks on stuff that uses outside-staff-priority?

If not: we could scrap that, as well as all the code necessary to
create the side-support-elements information for those grobs.

2. it would be cool if it were possible to position several grobs as a
single outline. Right now, we use DynamicLineSpanner to ensure that
all related dynamics stay on one Y position, but I suspect that it
should be possible to use the outside-staff-prority stuff to do that.
Do you think you could pull that off? Of course, the grobs will be marked
so that it is possible to distinguish related  groups of dynamics.

The same holds for piano pedals. If we could do this, this would simplify
dynamics-engraver a lot, and we could scrap piano-pedal-align-engraver.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com