Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:58:49 +0100

Am 27. Januar 2007, 12:06 Uhr (-0600) schrieb Trevor Bača:

> Question: would it be possible to have access to *both* sets of
> glyphs? It seems to me that I've seen both types of glyphs mixed
> together in single scores; usually the existing quartertone glyphs
> show exact quartertone alterations while the arrowed glyphs show
> approximate alterations.

Well, my proposal meant to be completely backwards compatible. I
thought about something similar to the "notehead-style" property like
saying

\override #'accidental-style = "arrowed"

for getting the arrowed accidentals and

\revert #'accidental-style

for switching back.

--
Orm

P.S.: Actually there are existing other styles (the three-quarter flat
normally is written with a normal flat sign and a mirrored flat;
sometimes a black (filled) flat sign is used to indicate quarter
tones, sometimes exactly this notation is used for indicating eighth
tones in combination with lilyponds default signs for quartertones
etc...)

That's one of the reasons I always found the arrows most clear (in
combination with arrows without accidentals for indicating eigth tone
alterations...)

But I don't want to open yet another bike-shed; i would just like to
get my preferred style available...