RE: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:00:53 -0700

Does this mean that \paper settings are always at top level?  If so, then a
change to combine \paper and \layout into \settings, with scope defined by
where the \settings block occurs, would constitute a change in functionality.

However, that change in functionality would be cleaner and more consistent.
The scope would be what the syntax of the input file implied.

On a related note, I think it would be cleaner to _always_ require users to put
in the necessary scope levels, i.e. don't have lilypond put the \book block in
by default.  It would make it a bit harder to get started, but would make it
much easier to move from the "beginning user" stage to doing complicated scores.

Carl Sorensen