Re: charge of lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: charge of lilypond
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 23:29:56 -0800

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

The best way to do this, is to write a scheme extension that reads file names from a socket or a pipe, processes those. Then you can save on the startup time of LilyPond.

Didn't Graham do something like this, calling it LilyPond server?

Han-Wen created the initial file (about one and a half pages of scheme code). I modified it a little bit, and then I modified it a lot to fit my needs. In particular, I had an OSC server that translated OSC messages into lilypond code, compiled it into pngs, then displayed the results as HTML pages. The idea is that I'd have one central computer that would generate music (with Computer-Assisted Composition) and send it to musicians to sight-read on stage.

Since Sep, I've been tackling the problem of having the computer judge the ability of musicians, so I haven't touched firelily (that OSC->lily->PNG+HTML program) at all. I'm planning on rewriting it in python (initial version was in perl) and releasing it at some point, but my focus right now is the musician evaluation tool.