Re: Website Redesign

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: Website Redesign
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:04:42 +0300

This example looks nice. I would just mention that for the pages which have much text on them I would like some kind of system that would scale the linewidth according to the resolution of the screen, assuming that users would use mainly a know sized font in their browsers. It is annoying to read those long lines in the actual version of the site. Since LilyPond is there to apply typographic rules of notation it would be nice if the site could also show some typographic rules for texts. :-)

Greetings
Till

Bryan Stanbridge wrote:
Kyle N. Leitch wrote:
I’ve come up with a simple (and developing) idea for a new design at my site, www.lws.cjb.cc/Lilypond <http://www.lws.cjb.cc/Lilypond>. Regardless of whether or not the new design will be used, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Greetings from a web professional,

It's a nice first step into a redesign. The concept is fairly nice and shows quite a bit of thought.

1) I recommend making the "Home" "Introduction" etc. links plain white. It's hard to read the special effect (and it requires images which increases load time, unnecessarily in this case).

2) There's a little too much space in a number of places. Between the header and the navigation, for instance. That seems a lot of extraneous space.

3) I think that perhaps you're using too many different colors, especially in the uses of headers.

4) The markup is very "old school." Your design could easily be accomplished with fully compliant (X)HTML+CSS and be leaner and load faster as a result. It would also be more appropriately elegant for such an elegant program. (Granted the originally is equally "old school")

If there's any interest in this, I could take a look later this week and bring your design into a standards compliant format and then post for comments. (If there's any question of my qualifications to take incredibly table-heavy code and translate it into (X)HTML+CSS, please see http://www.bgsu.edu for the ugly table version and http://www.bgsu.edu/music/ for my redesign with one table [that's largely unnecessary, but for a few pages. I'm working on getting the table out of there entirely, since there's no tabular data.]).

Cheers,

Bryan...

---
Bryan Stanbridge