Saying hello and considering my first contribution

From: Chad Thatcher
Subject: Saying hello and considering my first contribution
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:39:34 +0100

Hello all,

I am new to Lilypond and the devel list so hello to everyone. I think Lilypond is a fantastic program and as I am a developer would like to contribute something to the project. Selfishly, I would like my first contribution to be something that convert an ancient incipit to the Lily textual format to allow Lily to reproduce it in musical notation.

I am currently working with a cataloging project at the British Library which is recording all musical manuscripts between the years 1600 and 1800, I have developed an application for them to data input and manage the manuscripts. The information supplied with each manuscript sometimes comes with an "incipit" for the beginning of the music. Here is an example of an entire incipit pulled from the record for Sonata 1 by Johann Sebastian Bach:

''4G{3G FbEDC'BA5 BG}{8GxF+}{3FEDEFGA''5C'B}/''8{C+3C5DC'3B''C} {6.Ct'5B''C6D'A}'' 8G'3-{G5AB''CD}{8b E'B}/{6BA''bED}8-{BxF} {6D3DbEDC'B''5C'A}{3BxFGDbE''5DC'B''CC'B''C}/

I would like to convert this to Lily textual notation so that Lily can then reproduce it in musical notation so regular users of the web catalogue can just click a link and run this up into Lilypond. My main problem right now is that while I am a good developer I have only just begun learning about music and see this as being a real problem. I would like to hear from anybody on this matter and whether or not I am spitting into the wind on this one given my dire lack of knowledge of music. I would also like to find out if anyone else has had a stab at this kind of thing. Finally a few pointers as to where to start looking in the extensive programmers docs would be very useful.

Kind regards,

Chad.