Re: [patch] top level page breaking directives

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: [patch] top level page breaking directives
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:31:17 +1000

On Monday 07 May 2007 18:54, Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
> A new patch:
>
>  - \pageBreak, \noPageBreak, etc, can be used at top-level or inside a
>  score, as Mats suggested;
>
>  - the issue regarding the (sometimes) ineffectiveness of \pageBreak at
>  toplevel is fixed by specifying a line-break-permission='force, though
>  I don't understand why it is required;

The line breaker ignores page-break-permission, so it will happily return a
line configuration where a forced page-break occurs in the middle of the
line. The page breaker only looks at the last column in a line, so the
page-break can be missed altogether. It wouldn't be hard to change this
behaviour in the backend but I think it's just as easy to deal with it in the
input stage.

>  - \pageTurn and \noPageTurn seem to be as effective at top-level as
>  they are inside a score.

Does this mean they work?

> However, an issue is remaining: Composite_music is not allowed inside a
> \book block, so the page breaking commands cannot be used between scores
> inside a \book block. Side question: are regression tests containing
> serveral \score blocks required to have a \book block?

Would it break things to allow Composite_music inside a book? I think it would
be nice to have the \pageBreak work everywhere. As for the regression tests,
I don't see why they would require a book block.